Are you taking the Japanese Language Proficiency Test for the first time this year? If you are, the chances of you passing are not good especially if you are taking the test outside of Japan. Across all 5 levels only 36.6 % passed the July 2011 test. Only 36.6%! One of the biggest reasons why so many students fail the JLPT is because of the lack of quality study materials. Most students can only get there hands on grammar reference books, practice test books and kanji lists,. However, there is one product that can help you pass the JLPT – Japanese Proficiency Power.
If you are looking for JLPT study materials and are wanting to know if Japanese Proficiency Power will help you pass, then read this review to get all the facts on this multimedia study program.
What Are Your Chances of Passing the JLPT?
Here is a screen shot of the breakdown of the percentage of students who passed the JLPT level by level. Note that failure percentage is much higher for students who took the test outside of Japan.
Why Students Fail the JLPT
The reason why less than 50% pass all levels of the JLPT is because of two min reasons:
- Students don’t get enough test practice under real test conditions
- Students have no real strategies to answer questions they have trouble with. They don’t know how to analyse questions and choose the best multiple choice option by a process of elimination.
What is Japanese Proficiency Power?
Japanese Proficiency Power is a multimedia JLPT practice program for level 4 and 5. The program gives you three practice tests to take that are very similar to the JLPT test format.The real part of the program are the 40 screen caputre videos that go through all three practice tests teaching you how best to answer each question.
The teachers of the program are a husband and wife team. You get the perspective of someone who has taken the test and a native Japanese to explain the intracies of Japanese grammar and cultural.
“Nick’s program is perfect anyone taking the JLPT test. Having a native speaker to assist him makes the experience even better. I’ve already recommended it to my fellow classmates.” – Josh Gitter, Sunnyvale, California
“This isn’t for Japanese “newbies.” This is a highly targeted program that is meant for people that know a bit of Japanese and they are preparing to take the JLPT exam. If you go through this material, you will be completely prepared for every sneaky curve ball that they try to throw at you. You can use this program to easily pass this test now and move on with your life, instead of waiting for next December to come so you can try again.” – Billy Buchanan www.icanspeakjapanese.com
“Try Nicholas Kemp’s ‘Japanese Proficiency Power’, an innovative audio-video course for passing the Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT). … Since 1997, he’s been teaching students the best ways to ace the JLPT using his own custom designed courses and tutorials.” - Yahoo Answers
Advantages of Japanese Proficiency Power
- It is the only program that actually shows you how to answer JLPT questions
- Gives hints on things to watch out for with the multiple choice questions
- Offers mnemonic devices and unique ways to remember easily confused kanji and grammar rules
- Was created by a someone who has experienced and passed several levels of the JLPT – i.e they understand the test taker’s perspective.
- Comes with a 60 day money back guarantee
Disadvantages of Japanese Proficiency Power
- The program only covers levels 4 and 5
- The program doesn’t cover the listening section in great detail, but instead provides a list of useful resources and some sample conversations.
The Final Verdict